Saturday, January 7, 2012

My cozy prison cell

I've been accumulating pictures of my small apartment for the last few months, and thought that perhaps you'd like to see my humble abode on the right bank. It's 10m², which google tells me is 107ft². I have a little storage closet down the hall, so all in all I have maybe 12m² at most. It's slightly smaller than the place I had last year, but the layout is different and I have a dormer window, so one of my walls is on a slant. Excuse my lack of architecture terms..in short, it's borderline claustrophobic.
IMG_1406
All tidy. You're currently looking at my living room, bedroom, edge of my kitchen, chair to the desk in my "den." Notice my festive little sapin de Noël. (Courtesy of HEMA, a Dutch store in Paris that makes me want to just up and move to the NL)

My bed facing the "kitchen"
IMG_1389
Sitting on bed, less tidy..mmm chips
DSC_0001
Brittany by my bookcase (during her visit in November), next to the shower AND desk. It's..cozy

View out my window. Rainbow!

View out the window in the hallway. You can still see the Eiffel Tower, but she's itty bitty compared to last year's view. The colorful building in the back is Centre Georges Pompidou, blogged about  back in 2009, when I took more pictures in my abundant freetime. I kind of miss that year, but not nannying for that family!

I love the area I'm in, and the building is very nice despite my Bohemian (mostly) student-filled, paint-chipping-off-the-walls floor. The toilet is in the hallway--something I'm not a huge fan of, but god knows it wouldn't fit in here. I bitch about the seven flights of stairs, the old man next door that snores incessantly, and the constant cold drafts that in turn make the skylights rattle all night, but the truth is that I'm young, living and studying in Paris. I could be a lot worse off. It builds character, right? (And thighs, too.) I'd like to think that later in my life, I'll look back on these days and reminisce about how I had to fold up my futon every day, turn off my heater when I wanted to cook (so the fuses don't blow), and was far too used to grabbing a roll of toilet paper before making my way down the hall to the toilet shared with my numerous floormates. On second thought, maybe I won't miss the last one as much..

No comments:

Post a Comment